Just wanted to post a pic of my garden shed. It’s a little beach hut shape shed that I painted last year. I love it and thought I would share it. Won’t show you the inside though, that still needs a bit of work!
As I do the majority of my craft work in the living room, I need to be mindful of packing it away quickly and easily when required. Recently I acquired a basic wooden box, originally I think from ikea. The box is the perfect size to fit behind the door of the living room so I stated to store my current projects in it. Well if you sit still long enough in my house you will get painted!
I’m really pleased with the finished result. I used left over egg shell paint from various projects and some clear varnish I found in the shed. The design is a word theme I have been working on for a while, I also made a memory box for my boyfriend in a similar style. I love the detail and concentration of hand painting the words using a print out and light pencil outline on the wood. It’s a really effective way of personalising an item and in this case giving the box a distinct purpose!
Way too much stuff! I had grand plans to be ruthless in sorting out my craft room but I didn’t happen. Yes I have way too much stuff, but I genuinely seem to need it or think it could come in handy. I have come to the conclusion I just need better storage. I currently have a couple of sets of plastic drawers, but am thinking a ceiling height cupboard might be a good option. When I get the chance I think a trip to a second hand furniture store might be a good idea (it’s a hard life but some ones gotta do it).
My other issue is having a workspace that is easy to manage and can be tidied away quickly. Most of my time is spent in the living room, spreading between the coffee and dinning table – anything but ideal. My plan is to try and source a small writing bureau that I can upcycle and make into the perfect shabby chic project space. It should have a couple of draws to store any current projects in and with the foldaway desk is perfect for instantly looking tidy!
Better start hunting, I smell some painting coming on!
My partner and I were given an old pine dresser when we moved into our new house, it had been sat in a garage for about 10 years, was water damaged and generally a bit dated but the potential was there. I’ve always wanted a solid wood sideboard so we discarded the top of the dresser and focused on the base. I am torn between the feel of bare wood and the beauty of painted surfaces and after sanding down the layers of orange varnish I was amazed to find such stunning raw wood underneath.
Funny story – while we were having the sideboard delivered one of the doors flew off and was later found in 3 pieces after being run over and propped in a hedge. Due to this damage we couldn’t leave the wood bare as however well the door was fixed it would never look great. I decided that in order to get the best of both styles I would paint the main body of the sideboard but leave the top bare as it had the most gorgeous grain and such a light, natural colour. To keep the bare wood as natural as possible I used an oil based sealer and for the body a wonderful duck egg blue eggshell paint, both beautiful and also really hard wearing.
As well as damaging the wood of the door, it’s car accident rendered the door knob squashed beyond repair. 3 new handles were bought but in order to match these with the original drawer handles I sprayed them all a pewter colour which goes really well with the duck egg.
This perfect sideboard was a real labour of love, it shows just what you can get out of great quality old furniture, a few paints and a lot of effort. This sideboard is my favourite piece of furniture in the whole house and I plan on keeping it around for quite some time.
- Paint Stripper
- Electric Sander
- Paint Brushes
- Mini Rollers
This was my first proper furniture project so it was a bit of guess-work and lots of experimentation. I was given this chest of drawers by my boyfriend who was about to chuck it in a skip, it came from a theatre changing room and I really have no idea how old it was. It was an interesting yellow colour and when stripped it back, an even more interesting sludge green. It took hours of stripping and sanding and in the end I’ll be honest I gave up! I have suspicions that the green was possibly lead based paint so I left that alone and used a primer over the top.
I wanted to distress the furniture after paining so put on a good layer of primer and then rubbed wax over areas that might naturally wear over time. Some experimentation took place around the handles as they were made of solid plastic and this wouldn’t rub back well later on (I could have changed them for wooden ones but i like the fact that they were original), to create a fake wooden effect to sand back to I coated these in a brown acrylic paint and then painted the whole peace with a Light Grey Eggshell. The finishing touch was to use some coarse sandpaper over the areas I had waxed to give it the aged look.
Over all I’m really happy with it, especially as it was my first go. The paint didn’t stick to the handles very well so if it comes round again I will do more research to get that right. All in all very happy and kicked of a new passion for upcycling second-hand furniture and making it my own.‘ Onwards and upwards ‘